Plaid is governed by the B.C. Personal Information Protection Act regarding the collection, use, and handling of personal information. This Act sets out how British Columbia (Canada) businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information. Plaid also has adopted privacy principles based on the federal statute, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
By using Plaid’s products, services, or website or participating in Plaid’s surveys or research, you agree to the collection and use of your personal information by Plaid. Please take the time to read this document to learn more about our information practices, including the type of information we gather, how and for what purposes such information is used, to whom the information is disclosed, how it is safeguarded, and how you can access your personal information in our possession.
PERSONAL INFORMATION GENERALLY DEFINED
“Personal information” means any information pertaining to an identifiable individual. This may include an individual’s name in combination with the individual’s address; date of birth; e-mail address; gender; governmentissued identification number; account number; and credit card number. This may also include any information from which a person can be identified directly, or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or to one or more factors specific to their physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity. Personal information also includes information about when our clients use their mobile device to access and use our website and online products and information about our client’s location, whether collected through the location services function on the client’s smartphone or otherwise. To the extent permitted by law, personal information does not include the name, title, business address, or office telephone number of an employee of an organization, or the name, address, telephone number, or other information of a person that is publicly available (e.g., such as the information that is available in a public telephone directory).
PLAID SURVEYS AND RESEARCH
Plaid collects, organizes, analyses, and reports on information, including personal information, for the following purposes:
- conducting marketing, social, or educational research;
- analyzing participants’ responses and opinions, and to share such analysis and reports with our clients; and
- analyzing participants’ opinions to determine suitability for further marketing and social research (collectively referred to herein as “research”).
This section only applies to personal information that was collected from your participation in Plaid’s research. For the purposes of this section only, clients participating in research will be referred to as “respondents” or “you”. For certainty, “client” shall continue to have the same meaning.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- to determine eligibility for research, products, and services;
- to provide requested information, products, or services;
- to understand and assess clients' ongoing needs and offer products and services to meet those needs;
- for billing and accounting services relating to our products and services;
- for client communication, service and administration;
- for internal, external and regulatory audit purposes;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and
- for other purposes, subject to obtaining clients’ prior consent for such use.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- when the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- in an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security;
- when the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory);
- when we require legal advice from a lawyer;
- for the purposes of collecting a debt;
- to protect ourselves from fraud; or
- to investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law.
While the personal information we collect may come directly from you, it may also be provided by third parties.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH AFFILIATES AND THIRD PARTIES
- your company or organization if you use our services under a corporate account;
- your credit card issuers;
- credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies;
- debt collection agencies, if you fail to pay monies owed to us;
- government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorized by law; and
- insurance companies.
SECURITY AND NOTICE OF BREACH
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Upon request, you may access certain personal information collected by Plaid that Plaid maintains at the time of your request. Plaid will provide reasonable and practical access to your personal information in accordance with any applicable laws. Details of how to contact us are set out below. There may be instances where Plaid cannot provide you access to your personal information, for certain reasons, including, but not limited to, it has been destroyed or deleted after expiry of applicable retention periods, it contains personal information of other persons, or it contains commercially sensitive or proprietary information owned by us. If we are unable to provide you access, we will explain why and document that for our records. A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform you of the cost and request further direction from you on whether or not we should proceed with the request.
ACCURACY & CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We rely on you to keep us informed of any changes in your contact information or personal information, such as a change of address, telephone number, or any other circumstances. Please contact one of our customer service representatives or our Privacy Officer, to verify or amend the information we have about you. When reasonable and commercially practicable, Plaid, upon notice, will correct any inaccuracies in your personal information.
USE OF WEBSITE AND TRACKING
QUESTIONS & COMPLAINTS
Questions and complaints regarding Plaid’s handling of personal information should be directed