Relationship Advice - Canadian Higher Education Tableau User Group
Relationships are a dynamic, flexible way to combine data from multiple tables for analysis. Of course, the joins and unions you’ve come to love from Tableau are still available too. There are some huge advantages to this new model - flexibility, automatic selection of how to join data, being aware of which fields from which tables are used, and many others.
In this session we will cover:
- What are relationships?
- When and why should you use relationships instead of joins or blends?
- Practical examples of how to use relationships.
As the base webinar got a bit pressed for time, we’ll be adding these examples to our YouTube channel individually.
Example 1: Actuals vs Targets Using Tableau’s Relationship Data Model
Tableau workbook - Example 1: Actuals Versus Targets
There are tons of resources available to help you learn Tableau’s relationship model. Here’s the ones we used to help build this presentation. Know of others that should be added? Send us a note to info [at] plaid.is and we’ll add them.
- Clearpeaks. Tableau 2020.2 New Data Model. https://www.clearpeaks.com/tableau-2020-2-new-data-model
- Data Vizardry. Tableau – Understanding Relationships in the New Data Model – Part 1. https://datavizardry.com/2020/06/05/tableau-understanding-relationships-in-the-new-data-model-part-1/
- The Flerlage Twins (2020). Tableau’s New Data Model. https://www.flerlagetwins.com/2020/05/tableau-data-model.html
- Kriebel, A. (2015). DNA Chart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz25C7npzVA
- Lyons, B. (2019). Data Model Enhancements. https://tc19.tableau.com/learn/sessions/data-model-enhancements
- Interworks (2020). Comparing Tableau’s New Relationships to Blends and Joins. https://interworks.com/blog/2020/04/21/comparing-tableaus-new-relationships-blends-joins/
- Tableau (2020):
- Relationships Part 1. https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2020/5/relationships-part-1-meet-new-tableau-data-model
- Relationships Part 2. https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2020/5/relationships-part-2-tips-and-tricks
- Relationships Part 3. https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2020/6/relationships-part-3-asking-questions-across-multiple-related-tables
- Relate Your Data. https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/relate_tables.htm
- Don’t Be Scared of Relationships. https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/datasource_dont_be_scared.htm
- Don’t be Scared of Deeper Relationships. https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/datasource_dont_be_scared_deeper.htm
- Tessellation (2020). Tableau’s New Relationships and What They Mean. https://www.tessellationtech.io/understanding-tableau-relationships/
- Andrew Drinkwater, Plaid Analytics
- Patrick Lougheed, Plaid Analytics